Sunday, June 26, 2011

Two Days!

So it's two days 'till go time. It's raining here in Lexington, and according to Julie, it's been raining some in Nairobi, too! Something about the events coinciding makes the upcoming trip more real, vivid, and tactile to me. She's been nibbling on cabbage and chipati (unleavened flatbread), and in association with this experience learned the phrase, "I tamu," which means "It's delicious!"

(I'll admit that I find myself a little nervous about the food this time around, as I've become gluten-sensitive. It's sad, because I love me some chipati. I'm packing a lot of protein-packed snacks that my body is used to, and my fellow team member, Zadie, is doing the same! I know I will get some concerned Kenyan glances when skipping over the food, but I'll learn a phrase to explain why, and I'll get used to the scenario.

Julie says she's going to contact a few on the team with some packing tips after having gone through customs this time. She noted each of us might want to pack a tiny umbrella on account of the rain, which comes down hard and fast before disappearing quickly.

We found out this morning that we'll get to visit another orphanage while in Kenya, and that we'll also have an opportunity to visit the Masaii. After meeting Leah, a Masaii woman about my age on my last visit, I am looking forward to having this opportunity.

Off to church, American-style. I'll take it all in so that I can fully reflect on Kenya church next Sunday.

2 comments:

  1. Sorry I missed the departure on Tuesday as I was at the summer camp for refugee children.
    Praying for the whole team and especially my prayer partner, Stephanie.

    Jeff Carter

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Jeff! So fun to find out you're my prayer partner. We had a good sendoff group on Tuesday morning. I hope the summer camp went well.

    ReplyDelete